[Rd] [RFC] A case for freezing CRAN

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon Mar 24 11:28:54 CET 2014

    > On 03/20/2014 01:28 PM, Ted Byers wrote:
    >> On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 3:14 PM, Hervé Pagès
    >> <hpages at fhcrc.org <mailto:hpages at fhcrc.org>> wrote:
    >>
    >> On 03/20/2014 03:52 AM, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
    >>
    >> On 14-03-20 2:15 AM, Dan Tenenbaum wrote:

No way!  Matrix 1.1-2-2 has  Depends: R (>= 2.15.2)

    > AFAIK this is the most recent version of Matrix,
    > aimed to be compatible with the most current version of R
    > (i.e. R 3.0.3). However, it has never been tested with R-2.13.2.

Exactly. And for this reason, I have adopted to keep
	 Depends: R (>= ...)
in Matrix and partly, in other packages I maintain.

Doing so does prevent users of old versions of R to get new
features, and even more importantly, get the latest (few, of
course ! ;-) bug-fixes for Matrix.

But apart from this short note.
I'm very sympathetic with optionally providing easier (not
"easy") ways of setting up old versions of R and packages,
where users can pretty quickly use the printed (unfortunately,
for now) output of sessionInfo(), to reinstall
1) the version of R
2) an install.packages() call which tries (!) to get
   the corresponding packages (in their correct version) from
   CRAN (including ./Archive/ !)..

similarly to what Duncan Murdoch has agreed to.

    > I'm not saying that it should, that would be a
    > big waste of resources of course. All I'm saying it that
    > it doesn't make sense to serve by default a version that
    > is known to be incompatible with the version of R being
    > used. It's very likely to not even install properly.

    [..............]

    > Also note that back in October 2011, people using R-2.13.2
    > would get e.g. ape 2.7-3 on Linux, Windows and
    > Mac. Wouldn't it make sense that people using R-2.13.2
    > today get the same? Why would anybody use R-2.13.2 today
    > if it's not to run again some code that was written and
    > used two years ago to obtain some important results?

I also tend to agree that it would be great if someone (Karl
Millar -> Google ?) would setup a good time-stamping system for
CRAN {and Bioconductor and Omegahat and ..?} packages.
Ideally that system would work by *using* the CRAN (and ..)
infrastructure.

    > Cheers, H.

I'm still unsure if I should agree with you (Hervé) that some
freezing / "data base of package timestamps" should
happen on-CRAN in addition.

Martin