[Rd] [RFC] A case for freezing CRAN

Rainer M Krug Rainer at krugs.de
Fri Mar 21 09:49:31 CET 2014

Jari Oksanen <jari.oksanen at oulu.fi> writes:

> Freezing CRAN solves no problem of reproducibility. If you know the
> sessionInfo() or the version of R, the packages used and their
> versions, you can reproduce that set up. If you do not know, then you
> cannot. You can try guess: source code of old release versions of R
> and old packages are in CRAN archive, and these files have dates. So
> you can collect a snapshot of R and packages for a given date. This is
> not an ideal solution, but it is the same level of reproducibility
> that you get with strictly frozen CRAN. CRAN is no the sole source of
> packages, and even with strictly frozen CRAN the users may have used
> packages from other source. I am sure that if CRAN would be frozen
> (but I assume it happens the same day hell freezes), people would
> increasingly often use other package sources than CRAN. The choice is
> easy if the alternatives are to wait for the next year for the bug fix
> release, or do the analysis now and use package versions in R-Forge or
> github. Then you could not assume that frozen CRAN packages were used.

Agree completely here - the solution would be a package, which is
packaging the source (or even binaries?) of your local R setup including
R and packages used. The solution is local - not on a server.

> CRAN policy is not made in this mailing list, and CRAN maintainers are
> so silent that it hurts ears.

+1

> However, I hope they won't freeze CRAN.

Yes and no - if they do, we need a devel branch which acts like the
current CRAN.

> Strict reproduction seems to be harder than I first imagined:
> ./configure && make really failed for R 2.14.1 and older in my office
> desktop. To reproduce older analysis, I would also need to install
> older tool sets (I suspect gfortran and cairo libraries).

Absolutely - let's not go there. And then there is also the hardware
issue.

> CRAN is one source of R packages, and certainly its policy does not
> suit all developers. There is no policy that suits all.  Frozen CRAN
> would suit some, but certainly would deter some others.
>
> There seems to a common sentiment here that the only reason anybody
> would use R older than 3.0.3 is to reproduce old results. My
> experience form the Real Life(™) is that many of us use computers that
> we do not own, but they are the property of our employer. This may
> mean that we are not allowed to install there any software or we have
> to pay, or the Department of project has to pay, to the computer
> administration for installing new versions of software (our
> case).

> This is often called security. Personally I avoid this by using
> Mac laptop and Linux desktop: these are not supported by the
> University computer administration and I can do what I please with
> these, but poor Windows users are stuck.

Nicely put.

--
Rainer M. Krug
email: Rainer<at>krugs<dot>de