[Rd] Problems building package vignette: Sweave requires multiple passes to build document.

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 17:41:31 CET 2014

On 14/03/2014 12:28 PM, Skye Bender-deMoll wrote:
> Dear R-devel,
>

> Question:
>
>       How can I get Sweave to recognize that the \thebibliography section
> is already created and generate the vignette pdf with a single pass? Or
> is there a way to let R CMD build know that Sweave needs to be run twice?

I think the problem isn't Sweave:  it ignores LaTeX code.  The problem
is the following step that converts the .tex output into a .pdf, which
is handled by tools::texi2pdf (which runs tools::texi2dvi).  That
function makes an effort to determine how many LaTeX passes are
required, but it appears you are fooling it somehow.

Take a look at the source to tools::texi2dvi, and see if you can spot
what's going wrong in your case.  There are a number of different paths
through that code that depend on your particular setup, so we can't do
that.  If you don't succeed in this, then post a simplified sample
package and someone else will be able to see if they have the same
problem as you, and perhaps fix it.

Duncan Murdoch