[Rd] Problems building package vignette: Sweave requires multiple passes to build document.

Skye Bender-deMoll skyebend at skyeome.net
Fri Mar 14 17:28:01 CET 2014

Dear R-devel,

Question:

     How can I get Sweave to recognize that the \thebibliography section
is already created and generate the vignette pdf with a single pass? Or
is there a way to let R CMD build know that Sweave needs to be run twice?

     If (1) is not possible, any suggestions how to auto-generate a
crude generic bibtex .bib file from my existing document?

Background:

I maintain serveral R packages that include package vignettes. The
vignettes include the reference citations inline as\bibitem lines inside
a thebiblilography section. For some reason, this requires running
Sweave twice on the document (the first pass is presumably preformatting
the citation information?) to produce a pdf. This seems to be the source
of problems when included in R's preferred vignette location
(/vignettes/myPackage.Rnw) because the R package builder just runs
Sweave once during the check process, so no pdf is produced and warnings
are generated like

checking package vignettes in ‘inst/doc’ ... WARNING
  Package vignette without corresponding PDF/HTML

In the past, it has been possible for me to pre-build the pdf, and
include it in the /inst/doc/ directory. But it seems the upcoming
versions of R may prohibit this.

It appears that it is possible to avoid all this by including a bibtex
.bib file along with the vignette instead of doing the citations inline.
If the .bib files exists, it seems to generate with a single pass. But
reformatting all of the citations for each document into bibtex will be
a huge pain. Including a blank \bibliography{} command above my
\thebibliography environment also allows the document to be build in a
single pass, but generates a warning about duplicate biliography and
writes the section header twice (not surprisingly).

Note: I've cross-posted this question at:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/22237675/how-to-get-sweave-to-recognize-thebibliography-environment-and-build-r-package

thanks for your help,
  best,
  -skye