[Rd] class() on substitute(...) output?

John Chambers jmc at r-project.org
Sat Jan 4 00:50:01 CET 2014

On Jan 3, 2014, at 9:46 AM, Hadley Wickham <h.wickham at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 7:16 PM, Henrik Bengtsson <hb at biostat.ucsf.edu> wrote:
>> Does it make sense to talk about the class of the output of
>> substitute(...)?  I'm puzzled by the following outputs:
>>
>> ee <- list(
>>  A = substitute( a <- 1 ),
>>  B = substitute({ a <- 1 }),
>>  C = substitute(( a <- 1 )),
>>  D = substitute( a == 1 )
>> )
>>
>>> t(sapply(ee, FUN=function(e) { c(typeof=typeof(e), mode=mode(e), class=class(e)) }))
>>  typeof     mode   class
>> A "language" "call" "<-"
>> B "language" "call" "{"
>> C "language" "("    "("
>> D "language" "call" "call"
>>
>> That the mode in C is "(", is motivated in help("mode"): "that some
>> calls have mode "(" which is S compatible."  However, what's the
>> explanation for the different classes?  Is that intended or just
>> "garbage" output?
>
> ?class has:
>
> "Many R objects have a class attribute, a character vector giving the
> names of the classes from which the object inherits. If the object
> does not have a class attribute, it has an implicit class, "matrix",
> "array" or the result of mode(x) (except that integer vectors have
> implicit class "integer"). (Functions oldClass and oldClass<- get and
> set the attribute, which can also be done directly.)"
>
> which suggests either a bug or some tweaks are needed to the documentation.

Definitely not the former.  What happens is easy enough to see, if you follow the definition of the .Primitive.  Routine R_data_class in attrib.c does the computation.  When there is no class attribute, it supplies the definition for "matrix" and "array", turns the 3 types for functions into "function", and distinguishes among objects of type "language" to give specific classes to the syntactic functions called, such as `while`(),  `if`(), etc.

It does seem that the documentation should say something similar.

John