[Rd] no visible binding for global variable for data sets in a package

Michael Friendly friendly at yorku.ca
Wed Aug 27 19:51:11 CEST 2014

On 8/27/2014 10:41 AM, peter dalgaard wrote:
> Using data() in a package with lazyloaded data seems like asking for trouble to me. But you're making me curious (and I'm too lazy[*] to set up for rebuilding the package myself):
>
> Did you actually try putting battingLabels & friends in the namespace? What happened?
Well, I tried this, with NAMESPACE as

# all the rest is data, except we try to export the data sets used
globally in these functions
export(battingStats,
     playerInfo,teamInfo,
     Label,
     battingLabels, pitchingLabels, fieldingLabels,
     Batting, Master, Teams
     )

R CMD check was even more unhappy, failing immediately, so the attempted
cure was worse than the original disease.

* checking whether package 'Lahman' can be installed ...Warning: running
command '"C:/R/R-3.0.3/bin/x64/Rcmd.exe" INSTALL -l
"C:/eclipse/Lahman2013.Rcheck" --no-html
"C:\DOCUME~2\WORKSP~1\LAHMAN~1"' had status 1
  ERROR
Installation failed.
See 'C:/eclipse/Lahman2013.Rcheck/00install.out' for details.

00install.out said:

Error in namespaceExport(ns, exports) :
   undefined exports: battingLabels, pitchingLabels, fieldingLabels,
Batting, Master, Teams
Error: loading failed
Execution halted

My conclusions so far are:

- These are just NOTEs, so I will ignore them for now.  But they will
probably trigger the CRAN
maintainers to notice them when I resubmit and I will have to plead
guilty with an explanation.  This makes more useless work for all involved.

- Peter Dalgaard noted the change in R-devel, and nobody so far has
suggested a working remedy, so a clean solution
seems warranted.  It mentions 'now by default' -- is there a switch for
this?

The change would seem to be this

       \item \command{R CMD check} now by default checks code usage
       directly on the package namespace without loading and attaching
       the package and its suggests and enhances.

and perhaps the remedies could be stated more clearly?

Alternatively, it isn't common, but it is by no means rare for package
functions to need to use data sets
in the package, so some mechanism to declare these, perhaps in NAMESPACE
is needed.