[Rd] R, OSX, should creating SVGs request XQuartz

Jonathon Love jon at thon.cc
Wed Aug 27 11:45:23 CEST 2014

hi,

on OS X, when you try and use something which depends on X11, and you
don't have XQuartz installed, you receive an error message, it directs
you to download XQuartz, and then it euthanizes your process.

(my guess is that there is a skeleton X11 dylib installed in OS X by
default, and it is responsible for the error message and the
euthanasia. once XQuartz is installed, the skeleton dylib is replaced
with a functioning version)

in my application, i write SVGs using:

grDevices::svg( ... )

this provokes the X11 error message. i was wondering if this is an
erroneous/unnecessary loading of X11, or if grDevices::svg() does in
fact rely on X11 functions?

obviously, if i can avoid making my users install XQuartz if it isn't
necessary (not to mention avoiding the abrupt euthanizing of my
program), that would be ideal from my perspective.

with thanks

jonathon

- --

JASP - A Fresh Way to Do Statistics