[Rd] dubious behaviour of match.arg() with nested functions.

Gabriel Becker gmbecker at ucdavis.edu
Mon Aug 25 17:50:24 CEST 2014

More specifically, you're satisifying and not satisfying

    if (identical(arg, choices))
        return(arg[1L])

within the definition of match.args for x, and global, respectively.

arg is what is passed to the function (outer default) but choices isn't
specified so match.args uses nonstandard evaluation to populate it with the
default value *in the the call frame from which match.args was called*,
i.e. the *inner* default value. (See the details section of ?match.args)

The take away here is that match.args without explicitly setting choices is
dangerous except in top level functions, and that more generally
non-standard evaluation is dangerous and should be used sparingly and with
care.

~G