[Rd] RFC: diag(x, n) not preserving integer and logical x

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 15:47:01 CEST 2014

On 11/08/2014, 10:26 AM, Martin Maechler wrote:

> Thank you, Duncan (read inline)
>
>     > On 07/08/2014, 4:51 AM, Martin Maechler wrote:
>     >> This is not at all something new(*). As maintainer of the
>     >> Matrix package, I don't like this inconsistency of base
>     >> R's diag().  We have had the following -- forever, almost
>     >> surely inherited from S and S+ :
>     >>
>     >> diag(x) preserves the storage mode of x for 'complex' and
>     >> 'double' precision, but converts integer and logicals to
>     >> double :
>     >>
>     >> > storage.mode(x <- 1i + 1:7); storage.mode(diag(x)) [1]
>     >> "complex" [1] "complex" > storage.mode(x <- 0 + 1:7);
>     >> storage.mode(diag(x)) [1] "double" [1] "double"
>     >>
>     >> > storage.mode(x <- 1:7); storage.mode(diag(x)) [1]
>     >> "integer" [1] "double" > storage.mode(x <- 1:7 > 3);
>     >> storage.mode(diag(x)) [1] "logical" [1] "double"
>     >>
>     >> and so it is actually a bit cumbersome (and a memory
>     >> waste in the case of large matrices) to create a diagonal
>     >> integer or logical matrix.
>     >>
>     >> The help page does not mention the current behavior,
>     >> though you may say it alludes to the fact that logicals
>     >> are treated as 0/1 implicitly (**)
>     >>

>     > I think the change to preserve integer makes sense, but
>     > preserving logical does not.  A diagonal matrix has zeros
>     > off the diagonal, and they are not logical.
>
> That's true if you come from the usual mathematical thinking
> about matrices; and the same would extend to triangular
> matrices, too.

I'm not objecting to having a logical matrix, I'm objecting to saying
that a matrix with FALSE off the diagonal is a diagonal matrix.  A
diagonal matrix is one with zeros off the diagonal.

> In (S and) R however, matrices and array()s have always been
> more general than in applied math (and have allowed any atomic (and even
> more general) content).
>
>     > Having diag() sometimes return a matrix with FALSE off the diagonal just
>     > looks wrong.
>
> [... if you have never seen them ..]
> OTOH, sparse matrices (in the Matrix package) and also sparse
> and dense triangular matrices (all with their classes) have
> always (in the Matrix package) had their logical counter parts,
>
>   > Diagonal(5)
>   5 x 5 diagonal matrix of class "ddiMatrix"
>        [,1] [,2] [,3] [,4] [,5]
>   [1,]    1    .    .    .    .
>   [2,]    .    1    .    .    .
>   [3,]    .    .    1    .    .
>   [4,]    .    .    .    1    .
>   [5,]    .    .    .    .    1
>   > Diagonal(5) > 0
>   5 x 5 diagonal matrix of class "ldiMatrix"
>        [,1] [,2] [,3] [,4] [,5]
>   [1,] TRUE    .    .    .    .
>   [2,]    . TRUE    .    .    .
>   [3,]    .    . TRUE    .    .
>   [4,]    .    .    . TRUE    .
>   [5,]    .    .    .    . TRUE

That is completely different, and I have no objection to it.  Where I
would have an objection is if you got that result from

diag(rep(TRUE, 5))

or

Diagonal(rep(TRUE, 5))

Duncan Murdoch