[Rd] listof

Michael Friendly friendly at yorku.ca
Sun Aug 3 23:15:51 CEST 2014

An interesting topic, but I'll only respond with my own experience,
and that is, while 'listof' could be usefully extended there was not
enough meat on the bones to want to do so. I think this is a limitation
of the S3 class/method structure, as I see it.

In several packages (effects, heplots, candisc, vcdExtra) I/we
deal with lists of objects of a given class, and want to define
methods for plot(), summary(), print(), etc.  In these cases, the
simplest solution was to designate a new class, e.g., 'efflist'
for a list of effects in a univariate lm/glm/polr/ ... model
or 'candiscList' for a list of candisc objects.  Methods for the
*list class could then use an apply() construct over the list
items.

Most recently,
in the effects package, we implemented some effects plot methods
for multivariate linear models. This is essentially a two-way collection
of effects for terms x responses, but how to represent this in the
class structure to re-use the existing code for a single effect
of a given response variable?

The solution used here was to define a new class, 'mlm.efflist', with
new methods for this class.  This works within the current S3 class
scheme, but doesn't provide an extendible semantics.

-Michael