[Rd] NOTE when detecting mismatch in output, and codes for NOTEs, WARNINGs and ERRORs

Paul Gilbert pgilbert902 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 17:25:49 CEST 2014

On 04/10/2014 04:34 AM, Kirill Müller wrote:

> On 03/26/2014 06:46 PM, Paul Gilbert wrote:
>>

>> On 03/26/2014 04:58 AM, Kirill Müller wrote:
>>> Dear list
>>>

>>> It is possible to store expected output for tests and examples. From the
>>> manual: "If tests has a subdirectory Examples containing a file
>>> pkg-Ex.Rout.save, this is compared to the output file for running the
>>> examples when the latter are checked." And, earlier (written in the
>>> context of test output, but apparently applies here as well): "...,
>>> these two are compared, with differences being reported but not causing
>>> an error."
>>>
>>> I think a NOTE would be appropriate here, in order to be able to detect
>>> this by only looking at the summary. Is there a reason for not flagging
>>> differences here?
>>
>> The problem is that differences occur too often because this is a
>> comparison of characters in the output files (a diff). Any output that
>> is affected by locale, node name or Internet downloads, time, host, or
>> OS, is likely to cause a difference. Also, if you print results to a
>> high precision you will get differences on different systems,
>> depending on OS, 32 vs 64 bit, numerical libraries, etc. A better test
>> strategy when it is numerical results that you want to compare is to
>> do a numerical comparison and throw an error if the result is not
>> good, something like
>>
>>   r <- result from your function
>>   rGood <- known good value
>>   fuzz <- 1e-12  #tolerance
>>
>>   if (fuzz < max(abs(r - rGood))) stop('Test xxx failed.')
>>
>> It is more work to set up, but the maintenance will be less,
>> especially when you consider that your tests need to run on different
>> OSes on CRAN.
>>
>> You can also use try() and catch error codes if you want to check those.
>>

> Thanks for your input.
>
> To me, this is a different kind of test,

Yes, if you meant that you intended to compare character output, it is a
different kind of test. With a file in the tests/ directory of a package
you can construct a test of character differences in individual commands
with something like

   z1 <- as.character(rnorm(5))
   z2 <- as.character(type.convert(z1))
   if(any(z1 != z2)) stop("character differences exist.")

for which no one would be required to make any changes to the existing
package checking system. One caveat is output that is done as a side
effect. For longer output streams from multiple commands you might
construct your own testing with R CMD Rdiff.

As you point out, adding something to flag different levels of severity
for differences from a .Rout.save file would require some work by someone.

HTH,
Paul

for which I'd rather use the