[Rd] regenerate Rscript after moving R installation

Tobias Verbeke tobias.verbeke at openanalytics.eu
Sun Sep 22 00:21:19 CEST 2013

Hi Dirk,

----- Original Message -----

Architect is a cross-platform Eclipse based R IDE with a.o. out-of-the-box Rcpp support ;-)

> that you can mv(1) installations at will?  And maybe you can't?  Consider the
>
>         configure --prefix=/some/location/ ...
>         make
>         make install
>
> where /some/location gets set at compile-time.
>
> You seem to wish it didn't.  But wishing alone may not make it so. In all
> seriousness, these binaries may not be relocatable at will.

That is fair enough. I do not expect R-devel to be populated with Djinns,
but was puzzled (and probably lead down the wrong path) by the fact that
Rscript was the only stubborn piece in our build procedures.

> | The buildstamp that is part of the final installation path of the
> | application is
> | generated after the R build (since R is only one component), so changing
> | the --prefix
> | on the build machine would not work (currently).
> |
> | I hope this gives more background to the question and would be curious if
> | there are alternatives
> | to rapidly regenerate the Rscript executable only.
> |
> | (My other alternative of messing with the path in a hex editor has not been
> | successful :-)
>
> I'd go back to rebuilding for the target location.

Thank you! I will report back if I find out more.

Best,
Tobias