[Rd] appropriate work-around for problems with a specific plot device (Rstudio)?

Skye Bender-deMoll skyebend at skyeome.net
Fri Oct 25 02:13:05 CEST 2013

Dear r-devel-opers,

I'm working on a package that does some plot-intensive work using the
animation library.  It turns out that this performs very badly in the
RStudio plot device, which is the preferred IDE for our team.  Our
kludgy solution is to detect if the Rstudio device is running, and if
so, open another plot device to do the rendering and close it when done:

externalDevice<-FALSE
   if (!is.function(options()$device)){
     if (names(dev.cur())=="RStudioGD"){
       message("RStudio's graphics device is not well supported by ndtv,
attempting to open another type of plot window")
       # try to open a new platform-appropriate plot window
       if (.Platform$OS.type=='windows'){
         windows()
       } else if(length(grep(R.version$platform,pattern='apple'))>0)  #
is it mac?
       {
         quartz()
       } else {  # must be unix
         x11()
       }
       externalDevice<-TRUE
     }
   }

[render a whole bunch of plot frames]

# turn off external device if using one
   if (externalDevice){
     dev.off()
   }

Although this works well for us in practice, when testing against R
devel, we get the following NOTE:

* checking R code for possible problems ... NOTE
Found an obsolete/platform-specific call in the following function:
   ‘render.animation’
Found the platform-specific devices:
   ‘quartz’ ‘windows’ ‘x11’
dev.new() is the preferred way to open a new device, in the unlikely
event one is needed.

Is there a better way to resolve this situation?  We can't use dev.new()
to open the plot device, because RStudio has set the value of
getOption("device") to "RStudioGD".  Can anyone recommend an alternative
method of generating a platform-appropriate device to open that won't
generate R CMD check issues?

Thanks for your help,
  best,
  -skye