[Rd] C++ debugging help needed

Romain Francois romain at r-enthusiasts.com
Wed Oct 2 20:01:24 CEST 2013

Duncan,

extern "C" just means that the function(s) below it have C calling
conventions, so that .Call, .External, ... can find them. Without this,
your function names would be c++ mangled to disambiguate different
overloads.

What is inside can use namespace without any issue. You'd have something
like:

extern "C" SEXP dot_call_function(){
     rgl::Whatever object(1, 2 ) ;
     object.do_something() ;
     return R_NilValue ;
}

IIRC, if you register your functions (see WRE #5.4), you don't need
those extern "C" because you directly give the function pointer so you
don't have to search for it with its name.

Romain

--
Romain Francois
Professional R Enthusiast