[Rd] C++ debugging help needed

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Oct 2 17:52:22 CEST 2013

On 2 October 2013 at 15:45, Martyn Plummer wrote:
| In C++, everything goes in the global namespace unless the programmer
| explicitly creates one. So when you dynamically load two dynamic shared
| libraries with a "Shape" object they clash.
|
| The solution here is to put
|
| namespace rgl {
| }
|
| around your class definitions in the rglm package, and
|
| using rgl::Shape

Exactly.

| at the top of any source file that refers to rgl Shape. Likewise, the
| igraph package should declare shape in the "igraph" namespace.

And as I wrote to Duncan off-list, igraph doesn't, even though it otherwise
uses an igraph namespace:

   /** Shape.h
    */

   #ifndef SHAPE_H
   #define SHAPE_H

   #include <string>
   #include "Color.h"
   #include "Ray.h"
   #include "Point.h"

   class Shape
   [....]

So the clash is due to two packages simulatenously failing to make use of
namespaces.

And at that point the linker appears to pick in search (link ?) order.

Dirk