[Rd] R CMD INSTALL and file permission settings

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sat Jun 15 14:00:20 CEST 2013

On 15 June 2013 at 07:47, Simon Urbanek wrote:
| Because update.packages() doesn't restore the group-writable bit. Which leads us to my point that this is not what you really want.

Ooops. I'll take another look.

My initial patch to Martin did not have the argument to install, but simply a
fixed use of "664" and "775" modes if and only if an option() was set.  We
seem to need that in update.packages() too.

| I wasn't disputing the fact that it's great to have group-writable bit
| under control, but adding the flag to INSTALL doesn't solve the problem -
| and as you saw the result is a bit misleading in the context that it was
| discussed and thus may cause more confusion. I am arguing that the solution
| would be to (at least as default) take the directory writable bit because
| that is really what decides things anyway. You had a good point of also
| combining it with umask.

Re umask: Users get that wrong too often too.

I think I'd prefer to add another patch to update.packages().

Dirk