[Rd] GC encountered a node (…) with an unknown SEXP type

Roger Koenker rkoenker at illinois.edu
Thu Feb 21 00:20:39 CET 2013

Dear All,

I'm trying to track down a very erratic bug in some fortran;  I have an example that
quite consistently segfaults on windoz, and more sporadically on mac, all in the
course of doing some bootstrap calculations, varying the set.seed call,  but I'm now
trying to see what is going on on our  redhat system:

R version 2.15.1 (2012-06-22) -- "Roasted Marshmallows"
Copyright (C) 2012 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
ISBN 3-900051-07-0
Platform: x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu (64-bit)

I now have an example, i.e. a seed, that produces the error:

Error in crq.fit.por(xb, yb, cb, weights = w, ctype = ctype, ...) :
  GC encountered a node (0xb488bc0) with an unknown SEXP type: SPECIALSXP at memory.c:927

I've tried capturing the data for this call and running it from the terminal
window, but annoyingly it fails to complain when I do that.  I thought someone
might have a better idea.  My experience with gdb is very limited, I tried running
R -d gdb
which reproduces the error, but this gets me back to the R prompt and I can't
see any more than what was available without gdb.  Any advice would be most
welcome.

Roger

url:    www.econ.uiuc.edu/~roger            Roger Koenker
email    rkoenker at uiuc.edu            Department of Economics
vox:     217-333-4558                University of Illinois
fax:       217-244-6678                Urbana, IL 61801