[Rd] Building R from source under Mac OS X 10.8.2?

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri Feb 15 15:04:37 CET 2013

Dominick,

On Feb 15, 2013, at 3:13 AM, Dominick Samperi wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to build R from source under Mac OS X 10.8.2 (Mountain Lion)
> by following the FAQ and I run into a problem with the Fortran
> compiler (downloaded from http://cran.r-project.org/bin/macosx/tools/),
> specifically, gfortran-4.2.3. I have Xcode 4.6 installed along with
> the latest command-line tools (dated Feb. 9, 2013).
>
> When I try to run configure with or without the --enable-R-framework
> options I get this diagnostic:
> checking for dummy main to link with Fortran 77 libraries... none
> checking for Fortran 77 name-mangling scheme... unknown
> configure: WARNING: unknown Fortran name-mangling scheme
> checking whether gfortran appends underscores to external names... unknown
> configure: error: cannot use Fortran
>
> I'm working with the source for R 2.15.2.
>
> Any tips would be appreciated.

Have you setup flags so that the architectures match? The default in Xcode for ML is 64-bit while the default for the Fortran is 32-bit (because that was the default for Xcode at the time), so depending on which architecture you want to compile you'll have to use either -arch x86_64 or -arch i386 (see the FAQ for a quickstart guide to compiling R).

Cheers,
Simon