[Rd] Building R from source under Mac OS X 10.8.2?

Dominick Samperi djsamperi at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 09:13:51 CET 2013

Hello,

I'm trying to build R from source under Mac OS X 10.8.2 (Mountain Lion)
by following the FAQ and I run into a problem with the Fortran
compiler (downloaded from http://cran.r-project.org/bin/macosx/tools/),
specifically, gfortran-4.2.3. I have Xcode 4.6 installed along with
the latest command-line tools (dated Feb. 9, 2013).

When I try to run configure with or without the --enable-R-framework
options I get this diagnostic:
checking for dummy main to link with Fortran 77 libraries... none
checking for Fortran 77 name-mangling scheme... unknown
configure: WARNING: unknown Fortran name-mangling scheme
checking whether gfortran appends underscores to external names... unknown
configure: error: cannot use Fortran

I'm working with the source for R 2.15.2.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dominick