[Rd] Minimum requirements for package submission

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 22:58:36 CEST 2013

Geoff Jentry <geoffjentry <at> hexdump.org> writes:

> On Wed, 28 Aug 2013, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> > The change to preferring vignettes/ over inst/doc/ is just one of many;
> there
> > is also an ongoing preference for vignettes that fully reproducible from
> > source. Which may eventually put an end to non-Rnw / non-(la)tex vignettes.
>
> I'm currently stymied by this. I was one who did the stub-Rnw trick
> previously - it would be unwise for the vignette for twitteR to be run
> truly dynamically as it requires someone's real credentials to process.
>
> Not a problem, I run it by hand before submitting and then use the stub
> .Rnw for the vignette metadata to get picked up by CRAN.
>
> With the move to vignettes/ over inst/doc, that hasn't worked. doh!
>
> Aside: If someone knows of a way to get a non-autogenerated documentation
> file linked on a package's CRAN page (other than URL, which is a
> possibility) I'd love to hear ideas.

  It may be suboptimal/there may be better ways, but what I would do
in your situation would be to save the real twitteR results to a
.Rdata file (e.g. put it in inst/vignetteData) and then 'fake' the
twitter call: add a non-eval'd but echo'd chunk that appears to run
the command, and an eval'd but non-echo'd chunk that loads the results
of having run the command.

   Ben Bolker