[Rd] ‘:::’ call

Yihui Xie xie at yihui.name
Wed Aug 28 21:44:49 CEST 2013

If this issue is going to be solved at all, it might end up as yet
another "hack" like utils::globalVariables just to "fix" R CMD check
which was trying to fix things that were not necessarily broken.

To be clear, I was not suggesting subvert this check. What I was
hoping is a way to tell CRAN that "Yes, I have read the documentation;
I understand the risk, and I want to take it like a moth flying into
the flames".

Many people have been talking about this "risk", and how about some
evidence? Who was bitten by :::? How many real cases in which a
package was broken by :::?

Yes, unexported functions may change, so are exported functions (they
may change API, be deprecated, add new arguments, change defaults, and
so on). Almost everything in a package is constantly evolving, and I
believe the correct way (and the only way) to stop things from being
broken is to write enough test cases. When something is broken, we
will be able to know that. Yes, we may not have control over other
people's packages, but we always have control over our own test cases.
IMHO, testing is the justification of CRAN's reputation and quality,
and that is a part of what CRAN does.

In God we trust, and everyone else should bring tests.

Regards,
Yihui
--
Yihui Xie <xieyihui at gmail.com>