[Rd] suppress *specific* warnings?

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 13:04:24 CEST 2012

On Oct 26, 2012, at 11:17 , Martin Maechler wrote:

>> On 12-10-25 5:28 AM, Martin Maechler wrote:
>>> Sorry guys, for coming late,
>>> but *please* don't go there.
>>>
>>> I've been there years ago,
>>> and found later why the approach is flawed "by design" :
>>>
>>> Internationalization / Localization:
>>>
>>> - If the warning comes from a "standard R" function,
>>> the warning is almost surely different in a (say) German
>>> locale, and your pattern won't be detected.
>>>
>>> - Ditto if from a recommended package.
>>>
>>> - If it is a warning that is not translated then it may be that
>>> it is just not *YET*  translated.
>
>> I think the other Martin's suggestion addressed this:  he matched the
>> translated message, not the English original.
>
>> Duncan Murdoch
>
> Well, I don't think I understand.
> Of course you can only match "the message" that  warning() or
> error()  {or rather tryCatch() ,...}  produces.
> But you cannot guarantee nor know (for sure) if that message is 'original'
> or translated.
> "cannot", because AFAIK
> we cannot guarantee  Sys.setlocale() is obeyed platform
> independently:
> You would have to query the current and save that, set it to C, get the
> message, and then reset the locale to the previously saved one.
> And these do not work reliably, on some platforms, AFAIK and
> read our documentation.

I think the point was to use gettext() on the pattern-to-match. If the warning is translated, so would this be. The main limitations would seem to be that you have to be d*mn sure to get the spelling right and, presumably, it only works with straight string translations, not variant forms like

     msgid "found %d fatal error"
     msgid_plural "found %d fatal errors"
     msgstr[0] "s'ha trobat %d error fatal"
     msgstr[1] "s'han trobat %d errors fatals"