[Rd] suppress *specific* warnings?

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Oct 26 11:17:50 CEST 2012

    > On 12-10-25 5:28 AM, Martin Maechler wrote:
    >> Sorry guys, for coming late,
    >> but *please* don't go there.
    >>
    >> I've been there years ago,
    >> and found later why the approach is flawed "by design" :
    >>
    >> Internationalization / Localization:
    >>
    >> - If the warning comes from a "standard R" function,
    >> the warning is almost surely different in a (say) German
    >> locale, and your pattern won't be detected.
    >>
    >> - Ditto if from a recommended package.
    >>
    >> - If it is a warning that is not translated then it may be that
    >> it is just not *YET*  translated.

    > I think the other Martin's suggestion addressed this:  he matched the
    > translated message, not the English original.

    > Duncan Murdoch

Well, I don't think I understand.
Of course you can only match "the message" that  warning() or
error()  {or rather tryCatch() ,...}  produces.
But you cannot guarantee nor know (for sure) if that message is 'original'
or translated.
"cannot", because AFAIK
we cannot guarantee  Sys.setlocale() is obeyed platform
independently:
You would have to query the current and save that, set it to C, get the
message, and then reset the locale to the previously saved one.
And these do not work reliably, on some platforms, AFAIK and
read our documentation.

Martin