[Rd] r-forge build failure bafflement

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 23:12:34 CEST 2012

  Figured it out (I think: I haven't gotten through restructuring and
testing, but I think it's going to work now).  I was paying
insufficient attention to the build arguments, in particular
- --resave-data=best.

  I previously had the clever idea to save some fitted models with the
package so that they would be available to users who wanted to work
with them without taking the time and trouble of re-running the model
fits (some of which are very slow, especially for MCMC variants).  So
I saved these in a .rda file in the data section, which seemed like a
good idea at the time.  However, that means that resaving the data now
requires loading the package with which the class of those model
objects is associated ... and voila, a mysterious, apparently
self-referential, error message.

   For now I'm experimenting with moving those fits to a .rda file
inst/extdata ... (I thought using to dput() instead of save() to save
them might fix the problem, but it doesn't seem to) but this does seem
like a bit of a pain (I have included anther function, getdata(), so
that users don't have to mess around with system.file("extdata",
[model_obj], package="glmmADMB"). I would be curious if anyone has any
other suggestions for ways to work around this issue, or if they feel
that I am subverting the intended use of the data/ directory (and so
it's my own fault).

  happy friday, and thanks to all for their suggestions.

    Ben Bolker