[Rd] R-forge --as-cran

Paul Gilbert pgilbert902 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 17:29:06 CEST 2012

(Renamed from  "Re: [Rd] CRAN policies" because the of the
muli-threading of that subject.)

Claudia

Actually, my version numbers are year-month dates, eg 2012.3-1, although
I don't set them automatically.

I have had some additional off-line discussion on this. The problem is this:

Now when I submit version 2012.3-1 to CRAN, any checks of that package
on R-forge will fail, until I change the version number. This is by
specific request of the CRAN maintainers to the R-forge maintainers, the
reason being, understandably, that the CRAN maintainers do not like
getting submissions without the version number changed. One implication
of this is that I should change the R-forge version number as soon as I
make any changes to the package, even if I am going to change it again
before I actually release to CRAN. This seems like a reasonable
practice, even if I have not always done that.

The case where the code on R-forge remains unchanged for some time after
it is released to CRAN is more subtle. If R-forge does not re-run the
checks until I make a change, as is the current situation, then the
package will still be indicated as ok on the R-forge pkg page. However,
when R is upgraded, I would like the checks to be re-run on all
platforms, not just on my own testing platform. But when that is done,
the R-forge indication is going to be that the package failed, because
the version number is the same as on CRAN. The information I want is
actually available on the CRAN daily check. I just need to know that
when my package is unchanged from the version on CRAN, I should look at
CRAN daily rather than at the R-forge result.

Paul