[Rd] CRAN policies

Matthew Dowle mdowle at mdowle.plus.com
Fri Mar 30 10:49:04 CEST 2012

<Mark.Bravington <at> csiro.au> writes:

> There must be over 2000 people who have written CRAN packages by now; every
extra
> check and non-back-compatible additional requirement runs the risk of
generating false-negatives and
> incurring many extra person-hours to "fix" non-problems. Plus someone needs
to document and explain the
> check (adding to the rule mountain), plus there is the time spent in
discussions like this..!

Not sure where you're coming from on that. For example, Prof Ripley has added
quite a few new NOTEs to QC.R over the last few months. These caught things I
wasn't aware of in the two packages I maintain and I was more than happy to fix
them. It improves quality, surely.

There's only one particular NOTE causing an issue: 'no visible binding'. If it
were made a MEMO, we can move on. All the other NOTEs can (and should) be
fixed, can't they?

Matthew