[Rd] CRAN policies

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Thu Mar 29 16:43:02 CEST 2012

On 3/29/2012 7:07 AM, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> On 29 March 2012 at 07:58, Brian G. Peterson wrote:
> | On Thu, 2012-03-29 at 16:52 +1300, Thomas Lumley wrote:
> |>  The 'No visible binding for global variable" is a good example.  This
> |>  found some bugs in my 'survey' package, which I removed. There is
> |>  still one note of this type, which arises when I have to handle two
> |>  different versions of the hexbin package with different internal
> |>  structures.  The note is a false positive because the use is guarded
> |>  by an if(), but  CMD check can't tell this.   So, it's a good idea to
> |>  remove all Notes that can be removed without introducing other code
> |>  problems, which is nearly all of them, but occasionally there may be a
> |>  good reason for code that produces a Note.
> |>
> | 'occasionally' seems like an understatement.
> |
> | Here's an example:
> |
> | data(cars)
> | lm(speed ~ dist,cars) #would produce global variables NOTE
> | lm("speed ~ dist",cars) # would not produce the NOTE

Another example using library(ggplot2):

=qplot(time., value, data=X, geom='line',
                     facets=facets, color=variable, xlim=xlim, ylim=ylim,
                     xlab='days', ylab='displacement (inches)', ...),

       "value" and "variable" are columns of "X".  If I knew how to list
this in an "overrides" file, I would do so.  My experience is similar to
what others mentioned:  99 percent of the "No visible bindings" messages
I've seen are my coding errors.  This one is not.  I don't recall for
sure, but I think I checked trying putting "value" and "variable" in
quotes, and it didn't work.

       The function that includes this call to "qplot" actually includes
the definition of a global variable "time.", which is NOT used, because
"X" has a column named "time.".  The global variable "time." is a
character string, while "X$time." is class POSIXct.

       I mention this, because this discussion suddenly told me how to
get rid of this NOTE:  Precede this call to qplot with something like
the following:

       value <- variable <- "NOTE:  Define these variables to override
the NOTE impulse in R CMD check'

       I haven't tried this with "qplot", but it ignores the global
variable "Time." and uses the "Time." column of "X", so it should work.
I just tried something similar with "lm", and it ignored a global
variable in favor of a column of "X".  This is a silly kludge, but it's
simple and does not require a modification to "R CMD check".

       Spencer