[Rd] CRAN policies

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Wed Mar 28 16:07:46 CEST 2012

On 27.03.2012 20:36, Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
> 2012/3/27 Uwe Ligges<ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de>:
>>

>> On 27.03.2012 19:10, Jeffrey Ryan wrote:
>>>
>>> Is there a distinction as to NOTE vs. WARNING that is documented?  I've
>>> always assumed (wrongly?) that NOTES weren't an issue with publishing on
>>> CRAN, but that they may change to WARNINGS at some point.
>>

>> We won't kick packages off CRAN for Notes (but we will if Warnings are not
>> fixed), but we may not accept new submissions with significant Notes.
>
> Yes, I understand that but that does not really address the problem
> that one has no idea of whether a Note is significant or not so the
> only way to determine its significance is to submit your package and
> see if its accepted or not.

We have to look at those notes again and again in order to find if
something important is noted, hence please always try to avoid all notes
unless the effect is really intended!

Consider the Note "No visible binding for global variable"
We cannot know if your code intends to use such a global variable (which
is undesirable in most cases), hence would let is pass if it seems to be
sensible.

Another Note such as "empty section" or "partial argument match" can
quickly be fixed, hence just do it and don't waste our time.

Best,
Uwe Ligges