[Rd] CRAN policies

Yihui Xie xie at yihui.name
Tue Mar 27 23:40:04 CEST 2012

I have been wondering if it is possible to automate the checking
process to reduce human efforts, e.g. automatically check the packages
submitted to FTP, and send the package maintainer an email in case of
warnings or errors (otherwise just move it to CRAN); package
maintainers can appeal for a manual check by CRAN maintainers in case
of false positives. As a package author, I really hate to bother CRAN
maintainers each time I upload a new version and it passes R CMD check
successfully, in which case I should have received an automatic email
instead of Kurt's "hand-writing" "thanks, on CRAN now". Frankly
speaking, it makes me feel guilty sometimes to update my packages,
thinking of other 3700 packages on CRAN and how much time you CRAN
maintainers are spending on checking the packages.

I do not know how many package authors actually read this mailing
list, so these policies may not really reach some authors at all.

Regards,
Yihui
--
Yihui Xie <xieyihui at gmail.com>