[Rd] CRAN policies

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 18:09:52 CEST 2012

2012/3/27 Uwe Ligges <ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de>:

> On 27.03.2012 17:09, Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 7:52 AM, Prof Brian Ripley
>> <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk>  wrote:
>>>
>>> CRAN has for some time had a policies page at
>>> http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/policies.html
>>> and we would like to draw this to the attention of package maintainers.
>>>  In
>>> particular, please
>>>
>>> - always send a submission email to CRAN at r-project.org with the package
>>> name and version on the subject line.  Emails sent to individual members
>>> of
>>> the team will result in delays at best.
>>>
>>> - run R CMD check --as-cran on the tarball before you submit it.  Do
>>> this with the latest version of R possible: definitely R 2.14.2,
>>> preferably R 2.15.0 RC or a recent R-devel.  (Later versions of R are
>>> able to give better diagnostics, e.g. for compiled code and especially
>>> on Windows. They may also have extra checks for recently uncovered
>>> problems.)
>>>
>>> Also, please note that CRAN has a very heavy workload (186 packages were
>>> published last week) and to remain viable needs package maintainers to
>>> make
>>> its life as easy as possible.
>>>

>> Regarding the part about "warnings or significant notes" in that page,
>> its impossible to know which notes are significant and which ones are
>> not significant except by trial and error.
>

> Right, it needs human inspection to identify false positives. We believe
> most package maintainers are able to see if he or she is hit by such a false
> positive.

The problem is that a note is generated and the note is correct. Its
not a false positive.  But that does not tell you whether its
"significant" or not.  There is no way to know.  One can either try to
remove all notes (which may not be feasible) or just upload it and by
trial and error find out if its accepted or not.

--
Statistics & Software Consulting
GKX Group, GKX Associates Inc.
email: ggrothendieck at gmail.com