[Rd] PROTECT help

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 15:49:15 CEST 2012

On 12-03-27 9:22 AM, Terry Therneau wrote:
> I received the following note this AM.  The problem is, I'm not quite
> sure how to fix it.
> Can one use PROTECT(coxlist(eval(PROTECT.... , do I create an
> intermediate variable, or otherwise?

I think both would work.  The usual style in R sources is to use an
intermediate variable, assigned within the PROTECT call, e.g.

PROTECT(var = f());

but this would act the same as

var = PROTECT(f());

I don't know where the best docs are, but here is my understanding of
PROTECT:

What PROTECT(x) does is to make a copy of the pointer x in a stack of
protected pointers.  When garbage collection happens, nothing in that
stack will be released.  It is safe to protect things that don't need
protection, but it is a little inefficient.  (You shouldn't call
PROTECT() on a pointer that isn't an R object declared as a SEXP, but it
will only cause trouble in certain debugging modes.)

PROTECT(x) does return the value of x, so f(PROTECT(x)) should evaluate
the same as f(x) (but x will be protected from collection).

The main thing to watch when you use PROTECT is that you keep track of
how many times it is called, because UNPROTECT just pops a number of
pointers off the protection stack.