[Rd] Julia

Nicholas Crookston ncrookston.fs at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 01:54:05 CET 2012

There are many experts on this topic.  I'll keep this short.

Newer Fortran Languages allow for call by value, but call by reference
is the typical and historically, the only approach (there was a time
when you could change the value of 1 to 2!).

C "only" calls by value except that the value can be a pointer! So,
havoc is just a * away.

I'm very pleased to be on this list and read the discussion. Thank you
Douglas Bates for sending the first message.

I like R and will continue to use it. However, I also think that
strict "call by value" can get you into trouble, just trouble of a
different kind. I'm not sure we will ever yearn for "Julia ouR-Julia",
but it is sure fun to think about what might be possible with this
language. And having fun is one key objective.

Nick Crookston