[Rd] Julia

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Tue Mar 6 01:35:32 CET 2012

Yes, C does use call by value, always.  However, data arrays
are almost always passed via pointers to malloc'ed space,
so, effectively, data arrays are passed by reference.
(One can put a 'const type*' in the prototype of a function to declare
that the data pointed to will not not be changed, but it is
up to documentation or coding standards to let someone know that
data pointed to will likely be changed.)

I find R's (& S+'s & S's) copy-on-write-if-not-copying-would-be-discoverable-
by-the-uer machanism for giving the allusion of pass-by-value a good way
to structure the contract between the function writer and the function user.
Does Julia have the tools to let a function writer or user decide whether
he really needs to copy its arguments or not?

Bill Dunlap
Spotfire, TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com