[Rd] Julia

oliver oliver at first.in-berlin.de
Mon Mar 5 18:08:35 CET 2012

On Mon, Mar 05, 2012 at 03:53:28PM +0000, William Dunlap wrote:
> I haven't used Julia yet, but from my quick reading
> of the docs it looks like arguments to functions are
> passed by reference and not by value, so functions
> can change their arguments.  My recollection from when
> I first started using S (in the course of a job helping
> profs and grad students do statistical programming, c. 1983)
> is that not having to worry about in-place algorithms changing
> your data gave S a big advantage over Fortran or C.
[...]

C also uses Call-by-Value.
Fortran I don't know in detail.

> While this feature could slow things down and increase
> memory code, I felt that it made it easier to write correct
> code and to use functions that others had written.

Yes, I also think, that call-by-value decreases
errors in Code.

What I read about Julia it's like MATLAB plus more features for programming.
Does matlab also only use call-by-reference?

> Does Julia have a const declaration or other
> means of controlling or documenting that a given function
> will or will not change the data passed into it?

I did not explored it in detail so far.
Maybe the orig-poster already did this in more depth?

Ciao,
   Oliver