[Rd] installing spam package is failing (spam_0.29-1)

chuckles the clone frobnutz at sogetthis.com
Thu Jul 19 03:56:54 CEST 2012

No, I repaired that immediately and tried again. It failed in the same way,
re-installing the
old version. I tried commenting out everything in the sources list except
the CRAN archive
and then R could not be installed.

Sorry, no. I does not "just work".

>From what I can tell, the initial install was done from one of the ubuntu,
not CRAN,
repositories. And the version there was 2.13. Once that has happened, it
does not
appear to be possible to upgrade to 2.15 at all.

As a result, I am upgrading my ENTIRE INSTALLATION of ubuntu. In hopes that
that
might kick something in the broken apt-get repository and maybe I'll get a
new version
of R.

But still, this is all JUST SO I CAN INSTALL THE "SPAM" PACKAGE! The spam
package dependencies
are broken such that it does not "just work". The latest "spam" package
CANNOT be installed
on R version 2.13 AND YET IT TRIES AND THERE DOES NOT SEEM TO BE ANY WAY TO
CAUSE
AN EARLIER VERSION TO BE INSTALLED INSTEAD.

I'm sorry that attempting to get your just-works system to install does not
work to the point
where I have to ask for assistance. But it does not. And there is no
documentation which
even poorly describes what is happening here. So I have no recourse but to
ask. I am happy
it works for you as a maintainer and apologise that it does not for me, a
user.