[Rd] installing spam package is failing (spam_0.29-1)

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Jul 19 03:16:25 CEST 2012

For Pete's sake, could you please stop spamming the r-devel list?

We have a dedicated list r-sig-debian for questions related to R on
Debian/Ubuntu.  Please use it.

And as as far as I can tell, Peter already told you what's up:

   deb http://http://cran.cnr.Berkeley.edu/bin/linux/ubuntu oneiric/
       ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Not a valid url.  Once you have told apt/dpkg about additional sources, the
rest takes care of its own as higher package versions win:

edd at max:~$ apt-cache policy r-base-core
r-base-core:
  Installed: 2.15.1-1precise2
  Candidate: 2.15.1-1precise2
  Version table:
 *** 2.15.1-1precise2 0
        500 http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/ precise/ Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     2.15.0-1precise0 0
        500 http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/ precise/ Packages
     2.14.1-1 0
        500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise/universe amd64 Packages
edd at max:~$

Dirk, one of several volunteers making sure the above "just works"