[Rd] Performance issues with R2.15.1 built from source on Solaris

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Aug 11 07:57:31 CEST 2012

On 10/08/2012 17:50, Eberle, Anthony wrote:
> Yes, the T4 physical host that the zone is configured on is SPARC.  Are
> you saying that this is a function of the hardware or would possibly
> updating to a newer version of gcc help?  I'm actually going to see if I
> can build a newer version of gcc anyway just to eliminate that variable.

It is a function of the hardware.

You will likely do better (I do on a T2) with the native compiler
(Solaris Studio) than any version of gcc on Sparc, but things involving
long doubles are going to be slow.  However, they are a very small part
of a typical mix of R work (if e.g. what CRAN packages do is typical).

In any case, I would suggest using a recent version of gcc, as R-patched
does not compile with gcc3/g77: we have finally required a more modern
Fortran (and there are C things like inlining that require more C99
compliance than gcc3 has).