[Rd] Straight-quotes for usage and examples sections in PDF docs?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Aug 8 13:13:15 CEST 2012

On 06/08/12 23:01, Mike Lawrence wrote:
> Is there any way to ensure that quotation marks are left as straight
> quotes and not converted to curly quotes in the \usage and \examples
> sections when the pdf versions of the docs are created?

They are not converted ... so there cannot be a way.

In standard terminology 'quotation marks' are ASCII/Unicode " , and that
is what is in the PDF files (in so far as we can guess what you mean
without an explicit example).  I have no idea what 'straight quotes' and
'curly quotes' are in your lexicon, but how even ASCII characters are
rendered depends on the fonts used.

The R pdf manuals by default use inconsolata, where quotation marks are
somewhat italic.   We knew that when selecting inconsolata, but it was
the best compromise of the feasible choices.  Chose something else it
you prefer a different compromise.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk