[Rd] libtool FIXME

Kurt Hornik Kurt.Hornik at wu.ac.at
Fri Sep 9 09:27:13 CEST 2011

> Hi,
> looking on the build scripts, I noticed on configure.ac

> ## <FIXME>
> ## Completely disable using libtool for building shlibs until libtool
> ## fully supports Fortran and C++.
> ## AC_ARG_WITH([libtool],
> ## [AS_HELP_STRING([--with-libtool],[use libtool for building shared
> libraries @
> <:@yes@:>@])],
> ## [use_libtool="${withval}"],
> ## [use_libtool=yes])
> ## AM_CONDITIONAL(USE_LIBTOOL, [test "x${use_libtool}" = xyes])
> ## </FIXME>

> Is this comment outdated or still valid ?

Marco,

svn blame has

 17895     hornik ## Completely disable using libtool for building shlibs until libtool
 17895     hornik ## Completely disable using libtool for building shlibs until libtool

and change set 17895 is from 2002-01-21, so almost 10 years old.

Then it was certainly true.  Whether it still is, I don't know: we
needed to put considerable effort into creating our own non-libtool
solution.  Now we have something working and considerable effort would
be needed to rewrite the build toolchain [and I'd additionally be
concerned about possible future lack of libtool support for things R
needs to support].

Best
-k