[Rd] strsplit convert data

Joris Meys jorismeys at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 15:26:10 CEST 2011

This is a question for R-Help, not for R-devel by all means. You're
lucky to get an answer, but please use the right channels in the
future.

Cheers
Joris

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 2:59 PM, RMSOPS <ricardosousa2000 at clix.pt> wrote:
> Hello Hans,
>
> Thanks for the reply,
>
> already changed and it gives me the following error
>
> Error in strsplit(line, ",*") : non-character argument
>
> #dataset read file
> dataset
> num<-nrow(dataset)
> num
>
> #results
>> dataset
>    A.B
> 1 A,B,D
> 2   F,G
> 3 A,B,E
> 4   F,G
> 5   E,H
> 6   A,E
> 7   E,H
> 8 A,B,C
> 9   E,H
>> num<-nrow(dataset)
>> num
> [1] 9
>
> #
>

> #read lines in the file
> for(i in 1:num)
> {
>  line<-dataset$Items[i]
>  print(line)
>  line<-dataset$Items[i]
> *  in.s <- strsplit(line, ', *')*
>  d <- sort (unique (unlist (in.s)))
>
>  # Create the output matrix
>  output <- matrix (0, ncol = length (id), nrow = length (in.s))
>  colNames (output) <- id
>
>  for (i in seq_along (in.s)) {
>      output [i, unlist (in.s [[i]])] <- 1
>  }
>
> the idea was to create a cycle matrix.
>  columns have the set of items (A ... B)
>  rows of the matrix (output) and the value 1 if present and 0 if the line is
> not present.
>
> --

Joris Meys
Statistical consultant

Ghent University
Faculty of Bioscience Engineering
Department of Mathematical Modelling, Statistics and Bio-Informatics

tel : +32 9 264 59 87
Joris.Meys at Ugent.be