[Rd] NOTE: unstated dependencies in examples

Jari Oksanen jari.oksanen at oulu.fi
Fri Oct 14 15:18:38 CEST 2011

On Thu, 2011-10-13 at 17:34 +0200, Uwe Ligges wrote:
> I looked at the code and since this is not that trivial to change, I
> think we can well live with typing
>
> grep -r gplots ./man
>
> which is not too hard to run on the source package, I believe.
>
> Best wishes,
> Uwe

Uwe & others,

This is OK if you want to identify the cause of the problems. However,
the basic problem was that checking required something that is not
required: there was one example that was not run, and one case where the
believe that handling this kind of cases is difficult in automatic
checking. However, I think they need not be checked: there should be a
new case of package reference in addition to 'depends', 'suggests' and
'enhances' -- something like 'benefitsfrom'.

This is now actual to me, since I'm adding 'parallel' support to my
package, but there seems to be no clean way of doing this with the
current checking procedures. I use the 'parallel' support only if the
package is available (in R >= 2.14.0, not yet released), and there are
multiple cores. If there is only once cpu or there is not yet
'parallel' package, nothing bad will happen: things will only work like
they worked earlier without 'parallel' package. I haven't found out how
to do this cleanly for R CMD check (it is clean for my code since there
the usage is checked). If I add "suggests: parallel" I get R CMD check
error for the current and previous R -- for no reason. So currently I
don't mention 'parallel' at all in DESCRIPTION: I get a NOTE and
Warnings ('require' call not declared, no visible definitions), but this
is a smaller  problem than having a spurious failure, and failing to
have this package for a system where it works quite normally.

The new DESCRIPTION keyword could be used for packages that are useful
but not necessary, so that the package can be quite well be used without
these packages, but it may have some extra options or functionality with
those packages. This sounds like a suggestion to me, but in R language
suggestions cannot be refused.

Cheers, jari oksanen