[Rd] trace an Rd conversion error in R cmd check

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Oct 12 13:10:03 CEST 2011

R CMD check is R code: you can run the R code for yourself using R's
debugging facilities.  In this case start with 'R CMD Rd2pdf pkg-name'
(which should give the same error, as that is what R CMD check calls),
then run that R code directly (there are comments in the code in
R-devel about how to do so).

On Wed, 12 Oct 2011, Joshua Wiley wrote:

> Hi All,
> Apologies if this is a very naive question.  Is there a way to see the
> particular Rd file being processed right before a warning/error
> occurs?  As far as I can tell, all my .Rd files use have names and
> titles and they are unique between Rd files (sometimes in a file I use
> something like \name{foo} \title{Foo}).  I seem to be able to convert
> files to latex using: R CMD Rdconv --type=latex on all my Rd files
> without problems.
> Here is the warning and error:
> * checking PDF version of manual ... ERROR
> Rd conversion errors:
> Warning in file(con, "r") :
>  file("") only supports open = "w+" and open = "w+b": using the former
> Error : : Sections \title, and \name must exist and be unique in Rd files
> I am using:
> R Under development (unstable) (2011-10-11 r57214)
> Platform: x86_64-pc-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)
> on Windows 7 with Rtools 2.14 and MikTeX 2.9
> Any suggestions or pointers to manuals/documentation would be greatly
> appreciated.

This is far too rare a problem to be documented in detail.