[Rd] parallel::mclapply() dummy function on Windows?

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Sat Oct 8 14:15:41 CEST 2011

On 10/07/2011 06:03 PM, John Fox wrote:
> Dear Tim,

Hi John et al.,

Individual packages will become littered with ad hoc solutions,
constructed without, for instance, the wisdom and experience of Prof.
Ripley about platforms or environments in which it is appropriate to use
mclapply. For instance, Tim's pseudo-code if (Windows) ... translated as
if (.Platform$OS.type == "windows") doesn't sound like its the correct
test; at least

   exists("mclapply", getNamespace("parallel"))

but probably more. Also, doesn't parallel's name space differ between
platforms, requiring the package author to import(parallel) rather than
the better practice of importFrom(parallel, mclapply) ?

Martin