[Rd] Is there a way to disable / warn about forking?

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Tue Oct 4 10:43:10 CEST 2011

Dear R developers,

with the inclusion of the package "parallel" in the upcoming release of R,
users and package developers are likely to make increasing usage of
parallelization features. In part, these features rely on forking the R
process. As ?mcfork points out, fork()ing in a GUI process is typically a bad
idea. In RKWard, we "only" seem to have problems with signals arriving in the
wrong threads, and occasional failure to collect the results from child
processes. I haven't entirely given up the hope to fix this, eventually, but in
consequence, parallelization based on forking is not currently usable inside
an RKWard session.

I am somewhat worried that, as library(parallel) gains acceptance,
unsuspecting users will increasingly start to run into forking related
problems in RKWard and other environments. Therefore, I wish:
- The warning from ?mcfork about potential complications should also be
visible on the documentation pages for the higher level functions
mcparallel(), mclapply(), but also makeForkCluster().
- It would be nice to have a way to tell library(parallel) that forking is a
bad idea in the current session, so that
  - mcfork() could stop with an informative error message, or at least produce
a warning; mclapply() could fall back to mc.cores=1 with a warning.
  - third party packages which wish to use parallelization could check whether
it is safe to use forking, or whether another mechanism should be used.

I am aware that options(mc.cores=1) will effectively disable forking in
mclapply(). However, this would make it look like (local) parallelization is
not worth while at all, while actually, parallelization with
makePSOCKCluster() works just fine. So, I'm looking for a way to selectively
disable the use of forking.

Thanks!
Thomas