[Rd] Holding back on source code

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Nov 28 08:17:17 CET 2011

On 27/11/2011 23:07, Sachinthaka Abeywardana wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> A few years back when I was a CSIRO (an Australian research centre) intern
> I developed a BLAS package for R that uses the GPU. I believe that there is
> something similar right now, except it uses a few CuBLAS (Nvidia BLAS)
> routines, but doesnt replace them.

We haven't much idea what 'something similar' refers to.

> My question is, is it technically illegal to hold back on source code?

It depends entirely on the licenses involved.  Nothing prevents Adobe
distributing Acrobat without source code, for example.

This is the R development list: questions not specific to R are best
asked elsewhere (and, to take a recent example, that includes questions
about licenses of packages on R-forge or CRAN).  'Elsewhere' may mean an
IP lawyer.