[Rd] non-R package development

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Sat May 21 15:48:35 CEST 2011

On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 2:04 AM, Spencer Graves
<spencer.graves at structuremonitoring.com> wrote:

>      I routinely use the "R CMD check", etc., process with Subversion for
> version control and collaborative development.  I've looked for similar
> capabilities for other languages, so far without success.

 Python has a similar package build system based around a directory
structure with a 'setup.py' at its root - you may have seen this if
youve ever installed a python package from source. This python script
enables you to do things like 'python setup.py build' and 'python
setup.py install' to build and install the package, as well as run
tests, build distributable archives and so on. There's probably a way
to get a boilerplate package structure all ready to start developing
but I cant think what it is off the top of my head.

SVN and most other version control systems will play nicely with
text-based program development, so get checking in your python,
matlab, and unix scripts. If LabVIEW has a binary format then you can
normally check these in but you won't get meaningful 'diffs' out of
the system to see what has changed between revisions.

Barry