[Rd] Examples for performance studies

John Chambers jmc at r-project.org
Tue May 10 01:15:02 CEST 2011

A number of activities are underway related to understanding R
performance in practice and to exploring techniques for improving
performance generally or in important special cases.  I'm writing
directly on behalf of an informal group centered in the Computer Science
department here at Stanford, but also on behalf of similar activities
elsewhere.

We would all be helped by realistic examples of serious computations
with R, where substantial computing is required and the results are
important to users.  The more and the more representative the data
available, the more likely that useful performance tools can be designed.

If you can provide us with examples that we can use and share, please
send a description to:
   Justin Talbot <jtalbot at stanford.edu>

As examples accumulate, the plan is to make them available to the
community---details to be worked out.

Thanks in advance,
   John Chambers