[Rd] another import puzzle

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 20:19:37 CET 2011

On 11-03-26 02:52 PM, Martin Morgan wrote:
> On 03/26/2011 11:14 AM, Ben Bolker wrote:
>>
>>    Dear list,
>>
>>    I have another (again possibly boneheaded) puzzle about importing,
>> again encapsulated in a nearly trivial package.  (The package is posted
>> at<http://www.math.mcmaster.ca/bolker/misc/coefsumtest_0.001.tar.gz>.)
>>
>>    The package consists (only) of the following S3 method definitions:
>>
>> coeftab<- function(object, ...) UseMethod("coeftab",object)
>> coeftab.default<- function(object,...) {
>>    print(class(summary(object)))
>>    coef(summary(object))
>> }
>>
>>    The NAMESPACE tries to pull in the necessary bits and pieces from lme4
>> to extract summaries and coefficients:
>>
>> export("coeftab","coeftab.default")
>> importClassesFrom(lme4,"mer","summary.mer")
>> importMethodsFrom(lme4,"coef","summary","show","print")
>
> It 'turns out' that base::summary is an S3 generic. Matrix creates an S4
> generic that is distinct from base::summary (e.g., so that the default
> behavior of summary isn't altered for packages that want to have nothing
> to do with Matrix). Dispatch needs to go through the generic. lme4 has
> methods on Matrix::summary, not on base::summary, so without the
> Matrix::summary generic your object never sees the summary method for
> lme4 objects.
>
> So you need to Import: Matrix and importFrom(Matrix, summary).
>
> Martin Morgan

  Thank you!  The sun truly never sets on R-devel ...

  Did you know this from [painful] experience, or is there some sensible
diagnostic procedure I could have followed to track this down?

  (I will second the recent comment
<http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/Namespace-dependency-not-required-td3404575.html>
that "Namespace dependency not required: lme4a" is not very clear.  In
the spirit of improvement I attach a proposed patch for
src/library/tools/R/QC.R ... I think "dependence" works better than
"dependency" in English, too: e.g.
<http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Alt/alt.usage.english/2007-07/msg03530.html>.)

  Ben Bolker