[Rd] Problem using F77_CALL(dgemm) in a package

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Tue Feb 22 16:37:55 CET 2011

On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 4:39 PM, Jason Rudy <jcrudy at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've never used C++ before, so for this project I think I will stick
> with just using the BLAS and LAPACK routines directly.  Another issue
> is that I will need to do some sparse matrix computations, for which I
> am planning to use CSPARSE, at least to begin with.  I am interested
> by RcppArmadillo, and would consider it for future projects.  If you
> don't mind, what in your opinion are the major pros and cons of an
> RcppArmadillo solution compared to simply using the BLAS or LAPACK
> routines through the .C interface?

You may want to consider the API exported by the Matrix package that
allows access to CHOLMOD functions in that package's library.  The
entire CSPARSE library is also included in the Matrix package but most
of it is not exported because the CHOLMOD functions are generally more
effective.  (Both CHOLMOD and CSPARSE are written by Tim Davis.
CSPARSE is good code but it was written more for instructional purpose
than as an "industrial strength" package.)