[Rd] object type changes after being used as an argument in .Internal(paste(...))

Joris Meys jorismeys at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 15:53:55 CET 2011

OK, I realize I'm hacking away in R in a manner that was not intended,
but I found this interesting behaviour nonetheless, and I am not sure
whether this was intended to be so or not.

> x <- list(1:3,1:3,1:3)
> r1 <- do.call(paste,x) # the correct way
> sapply(x,typeof)
[1] "integer" "integer" "integer"

> r2 <- .Internal(paste(x,sep=" ",collapse=NULL))
> sapply(x,typeof)
[1] "character" "character" "character"

So although I don't change x explicitly, after the call to
.Internal(paste(...)) it suddenly is a list of characters instead of
integers. Is this supposed to happen? (Normally .Internal(paste(...))
takes an anonymous list(...) as argument, so it might very well be the
intended way of working.)

Cheers
Joris
--
Joris Meys
Statistical consultant

Ghent University
Faculty of Bioscience Engineering
Department of Mathematical Modelling, Statistics and Bio-Informatics

tel : +32 9 264 59 87
Joris.Meys at Ugent.be